On green and lush Vancouver Island, just off the West Coast of British Columbia, Canada, you will find the cute historic city of Victoria in Western Canada. It is known for its old-fashioned architecture, laid back hippy vibe, youthful student population and mild climate; and here are our top 10 things to do in Victoria BC, Canada for free.
On a typical day in Victoria, horse-drawn carriages clatter down cobblestone roads while 20-somethings wearing hemp and dreadlocks lounge in the parks and discuss politics. Cruise ships float into the harbour and suddenly the quiet downtown is bustling with camera-toting visitors. Street performers add colour to the Inner Harbour, a picturesque inlet where the number 1 and number 2 most photographed buildings in British Columbia sit right next to each other (the stately Empress Hotel and the majestic Legislature Building).
It’s easy to spend a lot of money enjoying the luxurious side of Victoria, as there are plenty of fine restaurants, spas, hotels and high end attractions downtown.
However, if you are visiting on a budget you can still enjoy this great city without spending a dime. Here are some ideas for the completely free top 10 things to do in Victoria BC, Canada:
Top 10 Things to do in Victoria BC, Canada for Free
- Take a walk out onto the Ogden Point Breakwater, a long stretch of concrete sticking out into the ocean. It’s a great vantage point from which to watch the cruise ships.
- Have a picnic in Beacon Hill Park. This peaceful green retreat is a haven of quiet right in the middle of downtown, with lovely ponds rolling hills of grass and even a space for outdoor concerts.
- Walk through Fan Tan Alley, the narrowest street in Canada. This Chinatown street is only about five feet wide and it is filled with funky shops and boutiques.
- Stroll around the Swan Lake Nature Sanctuary in Saanich and see if you can spot turtles, otters, herons, cormorants and other creatures.
- Visit Ross Bay Cemetery. It’s a beautiful and tranquil spot and you can learn a bit about the history of Victoria.
- Walk or drive along Dallas Road and enjoy the stunning views of the ocean. On a clear day you can see all the way over to the mountains in Washington state!
- Head to Fisherman’s Wharf and watch the seals eat fish right from the hands of the tourists.
- Watch the street performers in the Inner Harbour. On busy days in the summer you are sure to see fire jugglers, unicyclists, magicians and much more. They are free to watch, but if you want to support what they do you can bring some change to throw into the hat after the show.
- Go to one of the many Farmer’s Markets throughout Victoria and the surrounding area, where you can find fresh produce and locally made artisan food creations.
- Hike or drive to the top of Mount Douglas, where you will be treated to an amazing view of the entire city.
When staying in Victoria BC these are just a few of our top 10 things to do in Victoria BC, Canada for free!