Get a highly-acclaimed and internationally-recognised education while having the time of your life by studying in New Zealand. Although it couldn’t be easier to fall in love with New Zealand’s adventurous lifestyle, mesmerising scenery and never-ending opportunities for fun, getting the New Zealand student visa paperwork that allows you to experience all this is a little bit trickier.
How to Apply for a New Zealand Student Visa
The New Zealand student visa allows you to study in New Zealand for up to four years. But before you can apply, you must already have an offer of a place in a full-time educational course. This offer needs to include the name of the course, minimum time required to complete it, proof that the course and provider meet New Zealand’s requirement for international students, cost of the course and cost of course fees.
Collect All Necessary Documents
To begin your application, you need to start by collecting the following:
- Proof of being accepted into a course
- Evidence of sufficient funds to support your stay (approximately NZ$10,000 per year)
- Proof that you plan to leave New Zealand after your course (a return ticket or funds to pay for a return ticket)
- Passport valid for at least three months after the date your course ends
- 2 recent colour passport-sized photos
- Travel insurance
- Completed application form
For your application to be accepted, you also:
- Need to have a clean criminal record
- Must not have been deported by any country
- Cannot pose a risk to national security
- Should not be in New Zealand illegally
- Must be free from any serious long-term illnesses and incapacities
Depending on your age, citizenship and country of residence, you may also need to provide medical certificates, police certificates and translations of documents. If you want some help to ensure you’ve got all the correct paperwork and get your application right first time, we recommend using a visa agent like Visa First to guide you through the process.
Present Your Documents
When you’ve collected all your documents, you need to post them directly to the New Zealand Visa Application Centre. You’ll find the address on the instructions that come with the application form. You can also hand over the paperwork in person if there’s a New Zealand Visa Application Centre near you or apply online, although you’ll still need to send your original passport to New Zealand.
If this sounds like too much hassle, you can always arrange for a visa agent, like Visa First, to do the leg work for you and arrange the presentation of your documents.
How long it takes your visa application to be processed largely depends on your citizenship and the country you’re applying from. The average processing time is 20-25 days.
Just like the processing time, how much you’ll have to pay in fees for your visa also depends on your citizenship and the country you’re applying from. New Zealand student visa fees start at NZ$100 and go up to NZ$280.