Traveling to Canada has been made easy because you can travel with an electronic travel authorization visa. An electronic Visa/e-Visa is an official document permitting you to enter and travel within Canada. The e-visa is an alternative to visas.
On the 15th March 2016, Canada introduced what is known as electronic Travel Authorization [eTA]. It allows individuals of certain countries that have been exempted from the requirements to obtain a Temporary Resident Visa [TRV].
Before the eTA system was introduced, visa-exempt foreign nationals seeking entry to Canada were not systematically screened for admissibility until they arrived at a Canadian Port of Entry. The new eTA system aims to provide an easy travel for visa-exempt individuals by requiring them to complete an online form before departure.
The eTA is now mandatory for most visitors from countries whose citizens do not require a temporary resident visa [TRV] who are entering Canada by air. With a valid eTA, you can travel to Canada as often as you want for short stays [up to six months at a time]
Who needs an electronic travel authorization visa for Canada?
1. Travelers who need an eTA:
- Visa-exempt foreign nationals who fly to or transit through a Canadian airport
- Lawful permanent residents of the U.S need an eTA to fly to or transit through a Canadian airport. They must present a valid Green Card and a valid passport at check-in.
2. Travelers who may be eligible to apply for an eTA:
- Citizens from select visa-required countries are eligible to apply for an eTA instead of a visa, to travel to Canada by air. Nevertheless, these travelers need a visitor visa when arriving by either a car, bus, train, or boat.
3. Travelers who cannot apply for an eTA and need to carry other identification:
- Canadian citizens, including dual citizens, need a valid Canadian passport
- Canadian permanent residents need a valid permanent resident card or permanent resident travel document.
To complete the online form, you need:
- A valid passport from a visa-exempt country
- A credit card to pay the $7.00 CAD fee
- A valid email address
- Access to the internet
The eTA is valid for a period of five years from the day on which it is issued to the applicant or until the earliest of the following days if they occur before the end of that period:
- The day on which the applicant’s passport or other travel document expires
- When a new electronic travel authorization is issued to the applicant
- The day on which the electronic travel authorization is canceled.
The electronic travel authorization visa includes the applicant’s name, date, and place of birth, gender, address, nationality, and passport document information. If in any case, the applicant is unable to make the application by means of an electronic system because of a physical or mental disability, it may be made by other means like through the paper application form.
How to apply for the eTA to travel to Canada
Applying for an electronic travel authorization visa for Canada is quite simple. With a good internet connection, the process can take up to 15 minutes to fill the form for eTA Canada and pay the handling charge. After that, you have to wait for your Canada visa for about two hours.